Chairperson for Transportation:
Participants are eligible to receive travel reimbursement subsidy of they are traveling Over 500km (ONE WAY) / 1,000 km (ROUND TRIP).
For participants traveling greater than 500km ONE WAY to the Games, participants will be considered for travel via Air, Train, Car/Van or Charter Bus. All travel by Air, Train, Rented Van or Chartered Bus must be pre-approved by submitting a Travel Itinerary Request Form to Kelly Redwood Chair Transportation in advance of booking. If travel by these methods is not pre-approved then reimbursement will not be guaranteed.
NOTE: It is required that all participants will travel via the most cost efficient method to the Games.
There are 4 modes of transportation that will receive reimbursement depending on the one-way distance of travel from the community to the sport accommodation destination as measured by Mapquest or Google Maps.
It is reasonable and certainly our expectation that participants from one community will take advantage of carpooling to save on costs. Where more than one participant is traveling from a community, the following guidelines will apply:
- 1 vehicle to be used for every 3 participants in a community, except in cases where sports competition equipment is restrictive to the number of passengers a vehicle will fit (e.g. bikes). Should a van be required to transport this number of participants, rental cost reimbursement will be provided as per policy below. GOC must pre-approve van rentals. Cost of fuel is not included in the subsidy amount.
- Claims will be honoured for every vehicle traveling from a community, based on the guidelines noted above, and not for every participant traveling from a community. If a claim is submitted for every participant from a community, the claim of $0.30/km will be pro-rated based on carpooling with 3 participants per car (i.e. – 1 participant $0.10/km, 2 participants $0.20/km).
External Transportation Links:
Air Canada – www.aircanada.com – please call the Air Canada reservation line 1-888-247-2262 if you have special requirements before booking.
- Special Requirements advance notice: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/specialneeds/medic_approval.html
- Special Requirements: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/specialneeds.html
- Wheelchair: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/before/specialneeds/wheelchair.html
Via Rail www.viarail.ca - Please call Via Rail to purchase your tickets at 1 888 VIA-RAIL (1 888 842-7245) or TTY 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired) or at one of our ticket counters at the station nearest you specify the special services you will require to the agent when booking.
- Special Requirements advance notice: http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/special-needs
Internal transportation will be arranged for athletes who have indicated such a need on their registration
Shuttle bus schedules will be posted at all venues and accommodations, along with an emergency transportation number to be used by internal transportation users or in extenuating circumstances.
Only athletes with an accreditation badge indicating internal transportation will be allowed to board the shuttle bus.
If there are any questions or concerns, or if your transportation needs have changed, please direct your inquiries to Kelly Redwood, Transportation Chair for the Huntsville 2012 Ontario ParaSport Winter Games